Monday 20 July 2009

Food so Far

Ed wanted a hotdog league table. So far I have two cities tied on zero, nether has tempted me into a hotdog. The ones at Turner Field looked rank I have to say, although they may have been delicious, and none of the carts on 5th and 6th Avenue this afternoon and evening inspired me to partake in the frankfurter experience.


Thursday- No food other than British Airways- you want a review? Cottage pie not awful; banoffee pie awful, chicken sandwich not awful, crème cheese sandwich beyond awful, tasteless, textureless, banal.......


Friday- Blueberry muffin for breakfast in Peachtree Centre (possibly more to follow on downtown Atlanta), then pizza at Turner Field, out of 10? I'd give it -1. I don't think you should really be allowed to call it pizza. The beer (now here I can feel a league table coming on) Budweiser Select, now I am tempted to speculate how they selected it but it wouldn't be very edifying reading. Not a good mark for Turner Field on night one so far as food and beverage are concerned. All the beer at the stadium cost $6.75 a pint for those interested.


Saturday- Full house, standing room only at Turner Field, so I went to the club house where they served something called “Tomahawk” out of a tap. Said 'beer' I think it would be fair to say is even worse than the Bud. At least the Bud was in a can, stored in a vat of iced water (note to Edstock revellers James McNamara knows how to serve shit beer: very, very, cold), Tomahawk was passing itself off as real beer. I forgot I had a bottle of 1 year out of date Sam Adams in a seedy bar in the middle of an unofficial parking lot of Thursday, that was quite good considering.

The club house is a mighty and inspired idea; spread over two levels in right centre field it is a full table service outside bar with snacks and food in full view of the field. The view is outstanding, the food, uh... um.... my buffalo chicken wrap with potato chips was T in the Park Fajita challenging in value for money terms. The hands down winner in the ball park food stakes was the Smokin' Joe's (I believe) BBQ. I had a pulled pork burger with corn and potato chips. I'll mark each constituent separately, the burger with the pulled pork and BBQ sauce was MSGlicious, 9.5/10, corn on the cob- 4/10, potato chips 8/10, so pretty good all around, apparently I should have had the black eyed beans not the corn.


Anyway that brings me to New York and the point of this post (there's a point?); Bonne Soupe on West 55th Street between 5th and 6th Avenue is great. The food was good and the service a combination of French and New York rudeness/efficiency- in fairness they were very busy. It was 5:30 and the last thing I'd had to eat was pecan pancakes at 8:30am in Atlanta, I had an hour until I had to head back to the Rockefeller Centre to start my tour and this place was filling up. More impressively the staff were eating in the restaurant at the bar. I dived in and took a table for one. As soon as I sat down a glass of water arrived, then a basket of bread and the glass of white I ordered. I chose the quiche, no sooner had I ordered than a green salad arrived followed by my slab of quiche Lorraine. Desert; crème brulee and a coffee, the whole bill came to less than 30 dollars including drinks and I was out of there in 55 minutes. Highly Recommended!

No comments: